Salvaged Message Board Charging Station
Sharing some of my own work in a post is long overdue, so I decided to deviate from the norm and post one of my own creations this week in Place of Tuesday’s Top Five Favorite Junk Finds, I thought I would share my latest Charging Station project
I Finally finished my re purposed message board charging station created from some salvaged vintage pieces. Read on to see the transformation process, before and after photos along with a featured artist whose work has added some extra bling to this fun project!
Originally this was a wonderful vintage waterfall top vanity that my friend Jodi at She’s So Shabby kindly passed on to me, It was jammed into carefully stored in my carport for a future repainting project
Well that was before we were hit by an irregularly huge rainstorm that flooded our entire neighborhood,
and yes you guessed it our carport as well, which doubles as my studio space.
I lost quite a few gorgeous vintage pieces that day,
but was fortunate enough to be able to salvage the drawers and front piece from that vanity.Jodi recently moved her studio to Boca, I really need to stop by and pay her and her new space a visit,
and pick up some new paints while I am there.
I am dying to try out some of American Paint Company’s new colors.
I selected some salvaged chair rail from my parent’s Reno which was cut to size
for the top and drawer openings for the charger pockets.
Used 3-1/2″ screws to secure in all the extra trim pieces.
Yes make pilot holes when using long screws!
Grabbed and cut to size a salvage leftover piece for the bottom of the message board,
and glued on some extra trim.
Added the trim piece to the top with some more Weldbond,
then secured it with screws from the sides. I love my clamps!
Painted the whole shabang with Annie Sloan chalk paint in old white,
perfect color that matched the chippy paint on the tin,
and allowed the rainbow effect to really pop.
Distressed with a sanding block, then applied light and dark wax, buffed her all up nice and pretty.
Then screwed them all down in place,
added a few cup hooks to the back for a space to hang keys,
that can be hidden.
Cut a 1 x 2 to support the electrical charging strip and screwed it down. I soon realized that I did not have enough clearance once the charging strip was added so I had to paint and add additional 1 x 2’s to the sides, then placed a 50-lb support hanging system on it as this sucker is pretty big and heavy at 42″ x 31″!
I decided to keep the original furniture casters on it to add some character. Bent some keys on my vise to make hooks, and screwed them on.
Then one of my artist friends Heather from BluKat Designs on Etsy,
posted some great Mandela magnets she created on Google Plus,
I fell in love and thought they would go perfect with this project,
and placed an order right away!
Shared this post on the wonderful sites listed on my Party Page.
and a brand new furniture party!
Creating useful items like charging stations from salvaged junk, helps save the planet…. try your hand on a project today!
…..”Make Everyday Your Masterpiece!”